Wendy's Wonders

pop culture, music, 70s, television, movies, genealogy, scrapbook

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Scrapbooking

I have a scrap 4 you business - most people say "how neat?" or something to that effect when I tell them. They'll also immediately ask "how much do you charge?" - I am not a retail store. Nothing is priced exactly the same. You can't come in, pick out a product, pay & get out. This is a lot more involved. Especially if the pictures need to be captioned. I need to know who's who, what's what, where it is, when it was, why it was, and possibly how it came to be. I want to be able to give you a story when it's all said and done. If you had wanted just random photos in a book, you could have gotten a photo album to do that. Or still - just a box where you throw pictures in until you are ready to look at them. Maybe you'll remember when it happened, maybe not. I bet that's what your grandchildren will say someday - NOT!!! I have boxes full of photos from my grandparents young adult years - I have no idea if they are related to me or friends of my grandparents. No clue as to where they were, what they were doing, or any special stories about the event or the photo. Luckily, my mother was able to help me put names to faces for the most part. I want my kids and grandkids to know the story. Wouldn't you? Have you ever been to an antique store or a flea market and found lots of old photos? Those are someone's ancestors - but we don't know who because they people who found them didn't know who they were so they pitched them or sold them. That's like selling your grandmother or your immigrant g-g-g-grandparent. Don't let your pictures be without a story.
So the answer to the above question is - prices are a little different depending on the size of album, how many pages it has, how basic or embellished it is, etc. Also - do I need to do computer journaling or will you really write all the journaling when you get the album back? Do you want your pages scanned and placed on a CD so you have a computer copy of your scrapbook? Do you want copies of the photos in case you need them for other scrapbooks or to have in case something happens to the ones in the scrapbook? If I were to just charge for materials - that would be like saying my time is worth nothing. I have found that those willing to spend that little extra for the quality albums I design are the ones who will treasure these scrapbooks forever. It is history and preserves a part of the present and the past.
In my spare time - when I'm not designing scrapbooks for others - I'm working on my own personal books. I find it cathartic and relaxing - it also gets me away from the television! If you want to invest in this type of preservation go to my business page at http://nanasnovelties.tripod.com/home.html and check out some of my designs. Then give me an email so I can help you preserve the past!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home