Wendy's Wonders

pop culture, music, 70s, television, movies, genealogy, scrapbook

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Rice - what NOT to do!

So it's about noon & I'm trying to decide what to fix for supper yesterday evening - just in case I need to thaw something. I have smoked sausage so how about that with rice and beans? But instead of just plain ol' white rice, how about it cooked in chicken broth for flavor & then . . . not just white rice but half white, half brown. Sounds good so far. Except I wasn't counting on the fact that the instructions call for 2 1/2 cups of water to one cup of brown rice, while only 2 cups of water for white rice. Well if I'm only doing 1/2 c. of each rice, then I'll do one cup of water for white & 1 1/4 water for brown. Seemed to take forever for the water to cook into the rice - that should have been my first clue. Finally the rice seemed moist & ready to serve. One bite told me more than I wanted to know. While the white rice was just a little too "sticky" - the brown rice seemed granuley (if that's even a word). Crunchy was more like it! Now I know that brown rice tastes different - it has a "nutty" flavor - but crunchy was not the texture I was aiming for. So do NOT try this at home! In the future IF I ever decide to do this again, I will cook the 2 rices separately to ensure even cooking for both. The rest of the meal was wonderful - well, what I got to eat. Midway through my daughter called - as she has a habit of doing lately right after we sit down to eat - I could have told her I'd call her back but I didn't - so that's my fault. I ended up letting her talk while I ate! And what did I do with all that leftover rice? Well by that time I couldn't salvage it - so it'll be in the dump where all the little critters who take their nightly strolls can enjoy it! I just hope they all don't go running for the hills!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home